Saturday, February 24, 2007

...Cricket, heroes, and tragedy.

Like most Indians I am a huge fan of cricket. My intiation to this mass mania was during the 1996 World Cup. The World Cup beginning next month would perhaps be the last for an entire generation of cricketers that I admire and (some) revere-Lara, Kumble, Jayasuria, McGrath, Inzamam, Yousuf and not least, Sachin Tendulkar.

It was in those early days that I made a mental picture of most of these players, each geniuses in their own right but each, to me, with their own quirks, boons and banes. This, for example, is the picture of Lara in my mind.

And this of the iconic Tendulkar. For all lovers of Indian cricket, including me, this was a tragic moment, when after Tendulkars epic fightback India managed to lose 5 wickets for the want of some 20 odd runs.

It is also perhaps the irony of Tendulkars career, that he was for long the only thing that was right for a team, and a nation, that had everything going wrong for it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Viju George said...

Its the history of Indian cricket... Fail when it matters the most

May 31, 2007 at 5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home